Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Study Breaks are Kool

One of the cool, fun things we get to do as GRTs in the dorm is host study breaks. Basically we pester our students to quit doing their freaking homework (it's not like it's hard or there's lots of it, this is only MIT, sheesh) and take a break with friends and food. Tonight we're hosting just such an event, featuring....


This is what college is all about.

We're basically going to mix up a couple of pitchers of different flavors and then let the students mix them. We figure it's a positive outlet for the mad scientists within.

In other news, true to the title of this blog sometimes I am totally clueless. I have so far failed twice (TWICE!) at making recipes from our Kitchen Master's Guide cookbook. The first time I was making potato soup and put powdered sugar in instead of flour (it's a white powder in an unmarked container!!). I didn't even notice until I tried the soup and it was super sweet. The bread I bought to go with it was good though >.< Last night I attempted wild rice casserole, but even after letting the rice cook for almost an hour it wasn't really done, so I just moved on and made the casserole anyway. Thaaaaaat was a mistake. Fortunately for me, Matt is clueless about how things are supposed to taste, so he ate BOTH these disasters. Or maybe he's just being sweet.

Tonight Matt's making spaghetti while I prepare vegan cake and bean dip for tonight's kool-aid enhanced festivities. So theoretically everything will be edible and delicious.

BONUS BLOG RECIPE -- vegan cake edition:



+



=



None of this eggs, oil, and water business. Just the mix and the entire can of diet coke and then bake according to the regular directions. You just have to make sure your cake mix and your can of frosting are vegan (and most of them actually are--they use soy waaaaaay more often than milk). For variation, try yellow cake mix with diet ginger ale! Totally delicious! And since it's vegan, it must be healthy, right??!

Now I'm hungry, and you probably are too. We should both go get a snack.

Bon appetit!
-Emily

3 comments:

  1. Lol you made sweet potato soup... get it? Sweet potato?

    Also that's totally the exact same picture of cake I used on my blog when I posted that exact same recipe! lolz

    ReplyDelete
  2. My uncle did something similar one Thanksgiving. He was trying to make gravy and kept adding the white powder thinking it was flour, but alas, it was powdered sugar. Luckily, there was a Jewel very close by. =o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha, I love you guys and miss you like crazy!!! Robin, I can't believe we used the same chocolate cake picture. Actually, I totally can. Great minds think alike!!

    ReplyDelete